Weldon NC Historic District
Weldon’s National Registered Historic District was established in 1996. The residential neighborhoods are primarily frame constructions in the Italianate, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Neo-Classical Revival and Craftsman styles.
The commercial/railroad area is characterized by brick construction, following traditional forms and decoration fro the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Weldon’s Historic District also includes three churches. The oldest is the Gothic Revival styled Grace Episcopal Church ca. 1872-1899. The Edwards-Green House (ca. 1878) located on Sycamore Street is an impressive two-story frame residence is stylishly finished with Italianate elements. The Mary Pierce Johnson House (ca. 1903) located on Washington Avenue is Neo-Classical Revival style with fluted ionic columns. The R. Craig F. Cornwall House (1919) located on Sycamore Street is also Neo-Classical Revival Style architecture. The Smith-Dickens House (1901-1902) located on Washington Avenue is an impressively scaled two-story frame residence and is the largest Queen Ann style residence in Weldon.
These gracious old homes are adorned with fancy facades, giant columns, pilasters, and hand carved features, most made by local black artisans. Later homes were constructed with sophistication equal to much larger population centers.
Porches extend the length of the front and sometimes wrap around the sides, reflecting the custom of the time when good neighbors often passed the late hours of daylight sitting and talking of good times and bad, catching up on the news and telling stories. This was the way history was recorded and passed on from neighbor to neighbor and handed down from generation to the next.
Grace Episcopal Church
Weldon NC Historic District Images