Have you ever experienced a sanitary sewer back-up or overflow? Luckily, most sewer back-ups and overflows can be prevented with a progressive maintenance program. All of us can help to prevent them by wisely using the Town of Weldon’s sanitary sewer system. The Town is “recruiting” customer partners who are willing to join our efforts to prevent sewer back-ups and overflows.

Sewer back-ups and overflows are frequently caused by improper materials such as fats, oils and grease being placed into the sewer system by the Town’s customers. Since fats, oils and grease are lighter than water, they tend to accumulate at the top and sides of sewer pipes and can build up until a blockage occurs. If a blockage happens, the sewer backs up or overflows resulting in property and environmental damage.

The Town of Weldon’s Sewer Use Ordinance requires that restaurants should install and maintain grease traps and/or interceptors to prevent grease from entering the sewer system. However, there are many more residential kitchens than there are restaurants in Weldon. By reducing the amount of fats, oils and grease that enter the sewer system from homes, you can help to protect the environment by preventing sewer back-ups and overflows.

Sanitary sewer systems are designed to handle three things, used water, human body waste and toilet paper. You can do some simple things that will help the Town protect water quality and maintain the sewer system in Weldon.


  • Pour grease, fats and oils from cooking down the drain.
  • Use the toilet as a wastebasket.
  • Use the sewer as a means of dispose of food scraps.


  • Collect grease in a container and dispose of it in the garbage.
  • Place food scraps in waste containers or garbage bags for disposal with solid waste or start a compost pile.
  • Place a wastebasket in the bathroom to dispose of solid waste. Disposal diapers, condoms and personal hygiene products do not belong in the sewer system.

These suggestions can save you money too! Most sewer back-ups occur between the house and the Town’s sewer main, where the property owner is responsible for correcting the problem. Avoiding blockages means avoiding plumbing bills. When the blockage occurs in the Town’s sewer main, the Town will correct the problem. Please call the Town Hall at 536-4836, to report a sewer back-up or overflows. After hours call the after-hours emergency number, 536-3478.

Thank you for your help!

Monday, March 04, 2024

About Us

Visit Historic Weldon, “Rockfish Capital of the World” and discover our rich history of the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad; the Confederate cemetery, the Roanoke Canal Trail and see the amazing Chockoyotte Creek Aqueduct. Walk through Weldon’s National Register Historic District ... Read more