109 Washington Ave, Weldon, NC 27890

Registration: 8th Annual Shad Shootout Tournament
(Mar 24, 2018)

Date/Time/Location: Saturday, March 24, 6am to 4pm at Weldon Boat Landing, 200 Rockfish Drive. Register online using Pay Pal at www.historicweldonnc.com or at Weldon Town Hall, 109 Washington Ave., N.C., Monday-Friday from 9am to 5pm. You can register on day of event at River Falls Park Pavilion (located beside N.C. Wildlife Boat Ramp). Organizers reserve the right to postpone tournament activity if the Roanoke River at Weldon is deemed unfishable. No cash refunds will be given if postponed due to weather or other uncontrollable acts outside the control of the tournament directors. Credit will be given for entry in next year's event.

Shad Shootout Tournament Rules

1. Launching Time:  ALL boats must launch from Weldon boat landing.  Lines in at 6a.m;  NO EXCEPTIONS.  Lines out at 3:30 p.m.  All Anglers must be in line at 4:00 p.m. to weigh in at River Falls Park Pavilion; awards to follow. Each angler is required to cooperate with all reasonable requests from officials; including North Carolina Wildlife Officers.

2.  Boundaries:  Weldon boat landing to Hwy. 258 Bridge.

3. Weigh in:  Individual angler must weigh in two (2) Hickory Shad chosen by the angler. Each angler has two zip tags for the two Hickory Shad you want to weigh; once the Hickory Shad is tagged, it will be weighed.  If you remove or damage the tag before weight in, that tag is voided. Suggestion from tournament officials is that you tag your Hickory Shad right before you bring them in for weigh-in.     The weigh master will weigh the Hickory Shad in the presence of the angler and will complete the weigh-in slip. The angler will sign and have a copy of the weight-in slip.   The weigh master's decision is FINAL. In event of a tie; first angler to weigh in will be the winner.

4. Rules and Regulations: It is the angler’s responsibility to check and know the fishing regulations.  Live bait or artificial baits are allowable as long as the hooks comply with state fishing regulations.   Only hook and line, caught in the mouth, Hickory Shad are only eligible, American Shad are not. Shad that appear to have been snared or foul hooked will not be eligible for weigh-in. Each angler must comply and obey all state and federal fishing regulations during the tournament. Any angler found to have violated any regulation will be disqualified from the tournament and forfeit their entry.

5. Catch and Release:  It is encouraged for Hickory Shad less than 2 pounds. Healthy Hickory Shad released will help promote and preserve the fishery for future anglers.

6. Bait:  Live bait or artificial baits are allowable as long as the hooks comply with state fishing regulations.  It is the angler’s responsibility to check and know the fishing regulations.

7. Categories and Prizes:  Based on the combined weight of two (2) Hickory Shad weighed in.  The payout for the tournament will be 3 places deep. The pot will be based on the number of entries.  The tournament will retain 20% of each entry fee for operational cost with the remaining 80% divided up as follows:  1st place 50%, 2nd 20%, 3rd 10%.  For Example: based on 50 angler entries @ $30.00 = $1,500.00 – 20% Tournament pot would be $1,200.00. 1st place would be $750.00, 2nd place $300.00, 3rd place $150.00; the more entries, the larger the pots. Teen & guppy anglers will be competing for trophies 1st, 2nd &   3rd place.

8. Adult Calcutta Pool:  Largest Hickory Shad overall for adult anglers.  $10.00 entry fee per angler.   The payout will be 80% of the pot; tournament retains 20% for tournament expensive. This is where anglers can win some cash; the more entries into the Calcutta’s, the larger the pot. Example of possible payout: 20 entries @ $10.00= $200.00/.80% = $160.00 payout.

9. Teen & Guppy Calcutta Pool:  Largest Hickory Shad overall; $5.00 entry fee per angler.  They will receive 100% of Calcutta payouts for their division, but not the overall pot.

Proceeds go to helping Historic Weldon promote and revitalize historic landmarks.

Angler Registration

First Name:
Last Name:
Confirm Email:
I am registering as:
Calcutta entry:
Enter the Security Code:
I agree to the terms and conditions:
Read Terms & Conditions
Sunday, March 18, 2018

About Us

Visit Historic Weldon, “Rockfish Capital of the World” and discover our rich history of the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad; the Confederate cemetery, the Roanoke Canal Trail and see the amazing Chockoyotte Creek Aqueduct. Walk through Weldon’s National Register Historic District ... Read more